Saturday, June 25, 2016

A Birthday

Listen to:

A Birthday (:55)

by Christina Rossetti 

performed by Bob Gonzalez, rhapsode

In celebration of the wedding of my dear friends, Casey Rich and Jillian Smith

My heart is like a singing bird 
                  Whose nest is in a water'd shoot; 
My heart is like an apple-tree 
                  Whose boughs are bent with thickset fruit; 
My heart is like a rainbow shell 
                  That paddles in a halcyon sea; 
My heart is gladder than all these 
                  Because my love is come to me. 

Raise me a dais of silk and down; 
                  Hang it with vair and purple dyes; 
Carve it in doves and pomegranates, 
                  And peacocks with a hundred eyes; 
Work it in gold and silver grapes, 
                  In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys; 
Because the birthday of my life 
                  Is come, my love is come to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment