Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Glow-Worm


Listen to:

The Glow-Worm (1:20)

by William Wordsworth 

performed by Bob Gonzalez, rhapsode


          Among all lovely things my Love had been;
          Had noted well the stars, all flowers that grew
          About her home; but she had never seen
          A glow-worm, never one, and this I knew.

          While riding near her home one stormy night
          A single glow-worm did I chance to espy;
          I gave a fervent welcome to the sight,
          And from my horse I leapt; great joy had I.

          Upon a leaf the glow-worm did I lay,
          To bear it with me through the stormy night:                
          And, as before, it shone without dismay;
          Albeit putting forth a fainter light.

          When to the dwelling of my Love I came,
          I went into the orchard quietly;
          And left the glow-worm, blessing it by name,
          Laid safely by itself, beneath a tree.

          The whole next day, I hoped, and hoped with fear;
          At night the glow-worm shone beneath the tree;
          I led my Lucy to the spot, "Look here,"
          Oh! joy it was for her, and joy for me!     
                

                                                              1802.

No comments:

Post a Comment