Sunday, March 23, 2014

Dialogue with Love



Dialogue with Love by Michael Drayton, performed by Bob Gonzalez, rhapsode

My daily repertory-building performance for today.

Text on Poets.org

As Love and I, late harbour’d in one inn,
With proverbs thus each other entertain:
In love there is no lack, thus I begin,
Fair words make fools, replieth he again;
Who spares to speak, doth spare to speed (quoth I),
As well (saith he) too forward, as too slow;
Fortune assists the boldest, I reply,
A hasty man (quoth he) ne’er wanted woe;
Labour is light, where love (quoth I) doth pay,
(Saith he) light burthen’s heavy, if far born;
(Quoth I) the main lost, cast the bye away;
You have spun a fair thread, he replies in scorn.
    And having thus awhile each other thwarted,

    Fools as we met, so fools again we parted.

No comments:

Post a Comment