Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Secret of My Life


Listen to:

The Secret of My Life (1:04)

by Omar Khayyam

translated by Edward Fitzgerald 

performed by Bob Gonzalez, rhapsode


The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, verses 35-37
translated by Edward Fitzgerald

    XXXV
    Then to the lip of this poor earthen Urn
    I lean'd, the Secret of my Life to learn:
    And Lip to Lip it murmur'd--"While you live
    Drink!--for, once dead, you never shall return."

    XXXVI
    I think the Vessel, that with fugitive
    Articulation answer'd, once did live,
    And drink; and Ah! the passive Lip I kiss'd,
    How many Kisses might it take--and give!

    XXXVII
    For I remember stopping by the way
    To watch a Potter thumping his wet Clay:
    And with its all-obliterated Tongue
    It murmur'd--"Gently, Brother, gently, pray!"



No comments:

Post a Comment